Sunday, September 10, 2006

Entry 1 - Mad ramblings of someone with more ambition than sense...

I set this Blog up a couple of weeks back but wasn't quite sure when to actually start it as all I knew was that I'd like to try and cross the barrier between spectator and competitor, but I've kind of dithered over the idea for a year or two. After having a go at the "Legends Unlimited" driving experience at Knockhill on Friday, however... Actually driving a proper racing machine on a National class racing circuit is an incredible buzz - especially finding out about the fact I was probably doing about 112-114 mph at the end of the main straight... the track is amazing fun (though all the blind corners take a bit of bravery to fly through) and I really felt I was getting the hang of it towards the end, despite this being my first time around the track and my previous experience in a racing machine being a semi-endurance karting race last year in which I did "not so well".

Part of the experience package was to run a couple of laps of the track in a Seat Ibiza with an instructor - just so happened that mine was multiple Renault Clio Cup and Seat Cupra Championship race winner Jonathan Adam...! Thankfully my driving report was a good one (not great, but good at least!) and the interesting thing I noticed was that my report indicates the things I most need to watch are my braking and my gear changes, especially the downshifts - which is the biggest issue I have in online sim racing when I've raced road circuits in the past - weird how it all comes together.

Anyway, all of this has confirmed I definitely want to go racing, cash willing - time to start being a proper Scotsman and hoard all my pennies! Got some pics taken of me in the car but they wont be available for a couple of days, so in the meantime I've attached a pic of the very car I drove in the hands of it's usual driver at SMRC race meetings - Carol Brown.


No comments: