Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Back On The Horse (as it were)

So, for the first time in almost 9 months I climbed into a legend (three actually) last Thursday and went for a drive.

Aly hasn't decided who's driving what this year so we got a shot in a number of cars to see what we thought of them. First off was the ex David Thorburn #70 which I didn't drive too hard as I wanted to ease back into the way of the cars. Just as well I did as it's a very tail-happy car with a lot of oversteer. Next was the Stevie Coull #37 - very nice car, does what you want it to and doesn't have too much of a mind of it's own. The steering column is a lot further forward than any car I'd driven before so I found I had to stretch too much to try to go too fast as I wasn't all that comfortable.

For my last two sessions of the day I got to go out in the #68 - yup, the car I first drove in the Legends Experience in 2006 and which Carol Brown drove to the Championship last year. It's a little rocketship on rails - feels brilliant and goes like lightning, shame about the driver in this case. One thing I noticed was that the seat was very tight and I was pinned very much in place, I'd never thought much about that before but it made for a much more confident driving position so something I'll have to remember, as obvious as it might seem now I know!

So now there's nothing to do but wait to find out which car I'm driving this year and for the first of my races - SMRC Round 1 on the 26th of April. Can't come soon enough.

No comments: