Monday, September 21, 2009

The Last Two

Forgot to update this recently, had a lot to think about.

The June 28th meeting went reasonably well with red flags in both of the first two heats keeping me closer to the field, especially the second race as the restart was run over 5 laps in the wet allowing me to keep up with Mark Lees and match his times, though I think he was just holding back given the conditions. The final was held in the dry and I managed to hold on to the lead lap with a decent enough (if a couple of seconds off) lap time.

Then followed a big break up until what is likely to have been my final legends race - the double header at the BTCC meeting in August. On the Saturday I was absolutely nowhere on pace which was disheartening. The field was huge and I found myself struggling to stay on the lead lap with Jon Jon Higgins and Ross Marshall creating a stellar pace at the front matched with my inability to go any quicker than 67 seconds a lap... in the final I think I possibly created a bit of excitement by trying my best not to get lapped at the end and racing JJ and Ross into and out of the hairpin at the last gasp.



On the Sunday we started in wet conditions and I had my best race of the weekend, dropping to the back but hanging on to Stevie Coull and Mark Lees for most of the race and setting comparable laptimes which I was happy with but in the second race I dropped to the back and had a spin at McIntyre/Scotsman when I missed third gear. Just avoided being lapped but then the engine died on the slowdown lap requiring a tow back behind the recovery discovery. The car fired when we got back to the pits so there didn't seem to be a problem, must have just been a blip or me hitting the electrical cutoff with my elbow or something similar - never did find out for sure. The final was pretty poor by me, got lapped towards the end by Jon Jon and was a long way off the pace, but still enjoyed the whole weekend hugely as ever.

No comments: