Sunday, April 08, 2007

Debut time....

Just got up at 6.00am and then have to be off to the track about 7.00. The test day yesterday went even better than I could have hoped for - thankfully the sesions were indeed split between the different series so we got two legends sessions to ourselves. Add to that it was a lovely day, sunny and warm - so I got a chance to have a proper go at the track without being scared of the wet kerbs and so on.

Got more aggressive with the car as time passed and took more and more kerb, taking the corners faster and braking later each lap. Through each session it turned out I got steadily faster which is what I was hoping for, in the end my best time was a 66.728 which was 5 seconds off the fastest SMRC runner (61.343), about a second off the the slower SMRC runners (nearest to me was 66.170) and more than 5 seconds quicker than I managed three weeks back. This is a huge confidence boost as while I'm still basically the slowest runner out there it isn't by the enormous gulf I had been imagining.

Series champion Ben Mason was kind enough to walk us rookies around the track at the end of the day and point out his optimal braking and turn-in points - taught me a lot about Clark and the Hairpin especially as it turns out my turn-in points have been way too early. So with that in mind I'd like to try and set a 65 something lap today if possible at some point today.

Being able to set 66 second laps has got me half thinking I may even manage to get through the three races without being lapped, but we'll have to wait and see - there are some seriously quick guys at the front and I'm maybe wishing for too much!

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck mate, I am sure the times will come down as the season goes on.

I remember watching a Legend at Knockhill and being amazed at the turn in speed. I think everyone who watches motorsport on TV thinks they could drive as quickly, however after my mate and I had actually been to the circuit and watched, we both came away being amazed at the speeds. Do you lap faster or slower than the Formula Fords?

gl

thanks

Mike Hogg said...

Cheers for the comment, yeah - there's nothing like seeing the cars in the flesh to show that they might look easy to drive on TV but are a right handful - well, other than actually jumping in one of them and trying it for yourself... that's a REAL eyeopener!