Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Great Day

Bit of a delay getting this online. Had a blast last weekend - easily my best races so far. After the rain on Saturday and the awful conditions first thing on Sunday morning, I was a bit worried about what we were going to find, but it was dry for the most part for all three of our races, though the familiarisation was wet and a little slippery.

First time in the draw for a championship round, drew 15th for the first race (which would be 2nd in the second heat) and it was a reasonably straight-forward race for the most part. Ended up behind stock-car racer Murray Ford who was making his Legends debut and chased him all the way, ending up ahead of Tony Caig who had a spin at the hairpin with a couple of laps to go. On the last lap, Tony got to the inside of me heading into McIntyre and I tried to hold on too hard, touched the left rear in the gravel and spun it. Stayed on the lead lap but finished a long way behind.

The second race was my first right up at the front and I started second behind Dave Newsham. Totally screwed the start and got mugged left and right, soon finding myself well towards the back. Murray got by me and I spent the rest of the race right with him, I was slightly quicker into the braking areas but he was quicker through the gears so we were much of a muchness... Finished right behind him.

The third race was probably the most fun I've ever had. Started third and for once got a decent start, got into Duffus right with the leaders. Lost a few spots around the lap but started the second lap in seventh. Just starting the third lap I was in a huge group of cars (picture below) and it was such a rush to draft up the pit straight in the pack. Through McIntyre I unfortunately repeated my mistake of the first race and bounced through the gravel. Kept it in a straight line but rejoined last just behind Murray. Decided to go for it and sure enough just beat my previous fastest lap by a fraction (66.216) so all in all I can't complain. Felt a bit more on the pace and hoping the improvement continues at the BTCC meeting... preview of that to follow!

Heat 1 Result
Heat 2 Result
Final Result


No comments: